Oct 19, 2014

Q&A with William Capozzoli on The Move to Brazil

Your plan seems to rely on a lot of if’s and then’s, a lot of tentative things that need to happen.
While my plan does all of the above, you forgot to mention one thing - it’s still practical plan. When you have a practical approach that features goals, multiple backup and alternative plans, an exit plan and even a back-to-home plan, and it’s all on a timeline and attainable through good decision-making, which is something you’ve proven to do in the past, then why not go for it? Imagine where the world would be if everyone always abandoned their plans for fear of failure? Would all of the man-made things in front of you right now exist? That phone in your pocket? The clothes you're wearing? Your employer?

This all sounds a little bit rebellious, at least from the norms most people follow.
I’ve been a rebel in one way or another for my entire life. Sheep don’t bring change. They follow the herder. I don’t want to be a sheep. If an outside observer looked at the sequence of events in your life, and the decisions you’ve made, would they say you’re more of a sheep or a herder?

You speak about wanting to be different.
I’m a very artistic person and I believe that life is an art form. How you live, how you lead yourself and others around you, I see these processes as forms of art, and I don’t want to paint a picture that someone else already painted. Life is too short and there are too many lemmings in this world painting the same pictures. I believe that I have some positive qualities that can help me be a great leader. I believe there are plenty of opportunities to lead in developing countries. Don’t you think so?

You list plenty of ideas for projects down there. What if none of them work out?
Most plans in my life have worked out for the most part. One of them didn’t. I thought I had a job lined up a few weeks before graduating college. After 3 rounds of interviews I got a rejection letter. I was devastated. So I did the next best thing; I started looking for more jobs. And guess what happened? I found one! And I’ll do it all over again if I have to. All of my current project ideas stem from lots of hard research and networking for only 6 weeks of total time in Brazil. Do you think I'll come up with more ideas or less if I spend 6 months down there, as opposed to 6 weeks? Something has got to stick. Why think otherwise?

You’re going to make less money, initially. The idea that you’ll get back to your current income while down there isn’t guaranteed.
If all I wanted to do was make money then I would have grounded myself in a sales track a long time ago. I’ve had opportunities to get into these roles, but they’re not what attract me, and they’ll always be there if I become interested. Money is one factor out of many in the equation of happiness.  With my plan (The Move), the scale tips lower in the money bucket (initially) but higher somewhere else. That’s how my equation works, at least. Plus, less money means living with less. If I can live as a have-not and be happy, then this proves that my happiness is independent of how much money I have.

The move seems kind of risky. You don’t know exactly how you’ll end up?
I live today and I know what to expect tomorrow. I’ve been living like this for my entire life. I want to be thrown into a position where I have to re-define the plan. I want to feel like I’m learning how to walk again. I believe the skills and experiences that I’ve acquired prepare me to take on such a task. There is risk involved but the payoff is higher than any reward I could possibly be reaping right now. I won’t come out of this with any sense of complete failure, and that’s because I know I’m going to get something out of it. If there are any shortcomings, then I’ll recover in time. Do I have enough years ahead of me? I’m 26 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment